Curricular competencies are an integral aspect of student learning and help to support student understanding. I personally believe that developing strong critical thinking skills is critical to student success both academically as well as socially and in society. Developing cognitive thinking skills allows one to learn information, understand the meaning, importance, or value of such, and then work with this knowdlge in a form that gives way to autonomous learning. This thinking about thinking mindset allows students to know their purpose in learning specific information, engage with their learning in purposeful ways, and create stronger connections in the process. I have found through my practicums that one easy and effective way to begin to introduce students to critical thinking and cognitive thinking skills is through discussions. Through the platform of well maintained discussions accompanied by asking the loaded questions of “Why do you think that is?” “How did you come to that answer/opinion?” “How does that effect you personally?” etc. helps to create a space for critical thinking. This, in turn, helps students to adopt their own skills in this regard.

I also have a great passion for helping students develop competency in creative and innovative thinking and processes. The world of education can at times feel confining at all levels. Students may often feel as though that the subjects they are learning or the activities or work they are asked to complete lack meaning or purpose. I know that multiple times throughout my education, from elementary to high school to university, that I felt this way. It is because of this that I believe that providing students with opportunities to engage with learning in creative or innovative ways is crucial to their education. By allowing students these opportunities they then begin to develop creativity and innovative competencies that they will be able to incorporate in other subject areas.

https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/competencies