Educators contribute to the profession.

It is no surprise that Covid has provided many obstacles within the classroom environment and school community. However, it is during these hard times that educators and other support staff need to step up and persevere to make this difficult time as positive for students as possible.

Although these challenges were present, I was still able to find opportunities to volunteer my time to help my school. About halfway through my practicum I approached my school’s AEW to see if there was any way I could help with the school lunch program or the weekend baskets. I could tell instantly that my inquiry was incredibly appreciated. For the following weeks of practicum I helped to assemble the lunches for each student in the hot lunch program and delivered the food. I also helped to organize and put together the home-baskets getting sent out every Friday to help out families that are in need. These baskets included non-perishable food items as well as some fresh foods too.

Being able to help out, even in these smaller ways, made me so happy to contribute to my school community. I know, too, that my efforts were greatly appreciated by those helping to run these programs. Through this I have learned how important it is for educators to contribute to the profession in ways of their teaching as well as there efforts to helping build a strong and positive school community.